JP Morgan also known as John Pierpont Morgan Sr. was one of the most influential American financiers during the late 19th century who revolutionized the banking system and helped to shape the US economy. He was the founder of the banking giant J.P. Morgan chase & co. He was also one of the key influencers in the making of United States Steel Corporation, Western Union, General Electric Corporation, and many more. Here are some best quotes from JP Morgan.
J.P. Morgan was born on April 17, 1837, in a wealthy New England family. He did his studies in Europe and came back to the United States in 1857. He worked as a clear in his father’s business firm and later in the early 1860s found his JP morgan & co. In the coming years, JP Morgan took heavy interests in the railroads. In the panic of 1893, he helped the US government to stabilize the unsteady economy. During this period he became one of the driving forces of the US economy and helped to establish many businesses such as General Electric. He was also helped during the panic of 1907. With such immense success, many oppositions arose who doubted his work ethics and as a result in 1912 he had to testify before the Pujo Committee’s congressional investigation.
JP Morgan died on March 31, 1913, at the age of 75 at a hotel in Italy due to health problems. To honor the memory of one of the greatest financers, the stock exchange remained closed till noon on the day of his funeral. After death, his son took over the business. Many of his books and art collections were donated to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City.
Here is a collection of Inspirational JP Morgan quotes about success and character.
Best JP Morgan Quotes
1. It was not really a question of price. It was a question of success.J.P. Morgan
2. When you expect things to happen, strangely enough, they do happen. J.P. Morgan
3. The key to living a moral life is this: Do nothing in private that you would be ashamed to discuss openly with your mother.J.P. Morgan
4. You can’t unscramble eggs.J.P. Morgan
5. If that’s all he can get, and he takes it, I should say it’s enough.J.P. Morgan
6. Anyone who has to ask about the annual upkeep of a yacht can’t afford one.J.P. Morgan
7. Nothing so undermines your financial judgment as of the sight of your neighbor getting rich. J.P. Morgan
8. A man always has two reasons for doing anything: a good reason and the real reason. Let us be like the man of the frontier and always reveal with utmost honesty our real reasons for all that we do.J.P. Morgan
9. Well, I don’t know as I want a lawyer to tell me what I cannot do. I hire him to tell how to do what I want to do. J.P. Morgan
10. Anyone can be a millionaire, but to become a billionaire you need an astrologer. J.P. Morgan
11. Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you’ll be able to see farther.J.P. Morgan
12. I do not remember in my whole life I ever willfully misrepresented anything to anybody at any time. I have never knowingly had connection with a fraudulent scheme.J.P. Morgan
13. The wise man bridges the gap by laying out the path by means of which he can get from where he is to where he wants to go.J.P. Morgan
14. No sir. The first thing is character before money or anything else. Money cannot buy it.On being asked 'If money or property are the primary commercial credits'
15. If you have to ask how much it costs, you can’t afford it. J.P. Morgan
16. Congress should know how to levy taxes, and if it doesn’t know how to collect them, then a man is a fool to pay the taxes.J.P. Morgan
17. Gold is money. Everything else is credit.J.P. Morgan
18. A man generally has two reasons for doing a thing. One that sounds good, and a real one. J.P. Morgan
19. You are affluent when you buy what you want, do what you wish and don’t give a thought to what it costs.J.P. Morgan
20. No problem can be solved until it is reduced to some simple form. The changing of a vague difficulty into a specific, concrete form is a very essential element in thinking.J.P. Morgan
Motivational JP Morgan Quotes
21. Money equals business which equals power, all of which come from character and trust.J.P. Morgan
22. Giving debt relief to people that really need it, that’s what foreclosure is.J.P. Morgan
23. Of all forms of tyranny, the least attractive and the most vulgar is the tyranny of mere wealth, the tyranny of plutocracy. J.P. Morgan
24. No price is too great for a work of unquestioned beauty and known authenticity. J.P. Morgan
25. Anybody has a right to evade taxes if he can get away with it. No citizen has a moral obligation to assist in maintaining his government.J.P. Morgan
26. You can’t pick cherries with your back to the tree.J.P. Morgan
27. I made a fortune getting out too soon.J.P. Morgan
28. People without homes will not quarrel with their leaders. This is well known among our principle men now engaged in forming an imperialism of capitalism to govern the world. By dividing the people we can get them to expend their energies in fighting over questions of no importance to us except as teachers of the common herd.J.P. Morgan
29. Millionaires don’t use astrology…the billionaires do.J.P. Morgan
30. Any man who is a bear on the future of this country will go broke.J.P. Morgan
31. The first step towards getting somewhere is to decide that you are not going to stay where you are. J.P. Morgan
32. A man I do not trust could not get money from me on all the bonds in Christendom. I think that is the fundamental basis of a business. J.P. Morgan
33. I’ll do business with anyone, but I’ll only go sailing with gentlemen.J.P. Morgan
34. If you want time to pass quickly, just give a banker your note for 90 days.J.P. Morgan
35. I feel bound in honor when I reorganize a property and am morally responsible for its management, to protect it – and I generally do protect it. J.P. Morgan
36. I am not a good judge of men. My first guess is sometimes right. My second never is. J.P. Morgan
37. Let every lion do his duty.J.P. Morgan
38. Don’t talk to me about appealing to the public. I am done with the public, for the present anyway. The public reads the headlines and that is all. The story itself is fair and shows the facts. That would be all right if the public read the facts. But it does not. It reads the headline and listens to the demagogues and that’s the stuff public opinion is made of.J.P. Morgan
39. When I have a business on hand I think it is better to have it done quickly.J.P. Morgan
40. We are going someday to show ourselves to be the richest country in the world in natural resources. It will be necessary to go to work and to work hard to turn our resources into money to pay the cost of the war, just as soon as it is ended.J.P. Morgan
I hope you enjoyed our little list of J.P. Morgan quotes on success.
If you are also inspired by JP morgan and have some cool facts or quotes, do share with us in the comments below, and If you liked my article do share with your friends and family.
Need some more motivation? Check out our other posts: