Born around a hundred and Fifty-Three years ago, during the civil war period, Madam C. J. Walker or Sarah Breedlove as her maiden name was one of the first African – American female millionaires in the United States. She grew up to become an Inspirational entrepreneur, businesswoman, philanthropist, and political and social activist.
In the 1890s Madam C. J. Walker suffered a scalp disorder that caused her to lose most of her hair, so she started experimenting with home remedies and stored products to cure the disease. CJ Walker made a fortune when she was able to invent a metal heating comb and conditioner for straightening hair. She quickly became one of the most reputed women in the Black community for Beauty and Hair-care products.
As profit increased, Walker opened a factory as well as a Beauty school in Pittsburgh. She also started to provide scholarships for students at numerous black colleges and supported orphanages and retirement homes.
Madam C. J. Walker died in 1919 on 25th May giving 2/3 of her future profits to welfare. Due to her never-ending efforts to improve the lives of the black people, her luxurious estate in New York served as a social gathering place for the African-American community for many years. the US Postal Service also declared a stamp of Walker as part of its “Black Heritage” series in 1998. Netflix has also produced a show on the incredible life of Madam CJ walker called ‘Self Made’.
Here I have collected some of the best C. J. Walker Quotes that will definitely inspire you to take the right actions to achieve success in life.
Madam C. J. Walker famous quotes
Perseverance is my motto -Madam C. J. Walker
- I am not satisfied with making money for myself. I endeavour to provide employment for hundreds of the women of my race. -Madam C. J. Walker
2. I am not ashamed of my past. I am not ashamed of my humble beginning -Madam C. J. Walker
3. Now I realize that in the so-called higher walks of life, many were prone to look down upon ‘hairdressers’ as they called us; they didn’t have a very high opinion of our calling, so I had to go down and dignify this work, so much so that many of the best women of our race are now engaged in this line of business, and many of them are now in my employ. -Madam C. J. Walker
4. Love’s language is imprecise, fits more like mittens than gloves. -Madam C. J. Walker
5. I am a woman who came from the cotton fields of the South. From there I was promoted to the washtub. From there I was promoted to the cook kitchen. And from there I promoted myself into the business of manufacturing hair goods and preparations. -Madam C. J. Walker
6. Keep in mind that you have something that the person standing before you really needs, imagine yourself a missionary and convert him. -Madam C. J. Walker
7. America doesn’t respect anything but money. What our people need is a few millionaires. -Madam C. J. Walker
inspirational quotes By CJ Walker
Worth more than it costs. -Madam C. J. Walker
8. I want you to understand that your first duty is to humanity. I want others to look at us and see that we care not just about ourselves but about others. -Madam C. J. Walker
9. I had to make my own living and my own opportunity. But I made it! -Madam C. J. Walker
10. Don’t sit down and wait for the opportunities to come. Get up and make them -Madam C. J. Walker
11. If I have accomplished anything in life it is because I have been willing to work hard -Madam C. J. Walker
12. One can slide between poor and rich, the difference as slight as between paper and parchment, one voice and a choir, arms hanging by sides, and a hug. -Madam C. J. Walker
13. People are ugly not in their faces but in their thoughts. So never get impressed by someone’s appearance, rather dig deep down into their thoughts to reveal the real person inside out. -Madam C. J. Walker
14. I got my start by giving myself a start. -Madam C. J. Walker
15. Don’t think that because you have to go down in the wash-tub that you are any less a lady! -Madam C. J. Walker
16. There is no royal flower-strewn path to success. And if there is, I have not found it. -Madam C. J. Walker
17. It’s pretty hard for the Lord to guide you if you haven’t made up your mind about which way to go. -Madam C. J. Walker
Quotes of Madam C. J. Walker
I refuse to be labeled immoral merely because I am godless -Madam C. J. Walker
18. I want the great masses of my people to take greater pride in their personal appearance and to give their hair proper attention. -Madam C. J. Walker
19. Having a good article for the market is one thing, putting it properly before the public is another. -Madam C. J. Walker
20. I have made it possible for many coloured women to abandon the wash-tub for more pleasant and profitable occupation. -Madam C. J. Walker
21. When we began to make $10 a day, my ex-husband thought that was enough, thought I ought to be satisfied. But I was convinced that my hair preparation would fill a long-felt want. And when we found it impossible to agree, due to his narrowness of vision, I embarked on business for myself. -Madam C. J. Walker
22. I love to use a part of what I make to help others. -Madam C. J. Walker
23. Surely you are not going to shut the door in my face. I feel that I am in a business that is a credit to the womanhood of our race. -Madam C. J. Walker
24. I have built my own factory on my own ground! -Madam C. J. Walker
25. There would be no hair growing business today had I not started it. -Madam C. J. Walker
26. Open Your Own Shop; Secure Prosperity and Freedom. -Madam C. J. Walker
27. You might say that I was the first and caused others to awaken to the sense of their duty in helping deserving causes for the benefit of the race. -Madam C. J. Walker
28. Girls and women of our race must not be afraid to take hold of business endeavour and, by patient industry, close economy, determined effort, and close application to business, wring success out of a number of business opportunities that lie at their doors. -Madam C. J. Walker
29. God answered my prayer, for one night I had a dream, and in that dream, a big black man appeared to me and told me what to mix up for my hair. Some of the remedies were grown in Africa, but I sent for it, mixed it, put it on my scalp, and in a few weeks my hair was coming in faster than it had ever fallen out. I tried it on my friends; it helped them. I made up my mind I would begin to sell it. –Madam C. J. Walker
I hope you enjoyed this small collection of quotes from CJ walker. If you know any more quotes more CJ walker or have some interesting facts about Madam Walker do share with us in the comments below. Also, don’t forget to share these quotes with your friends and family.